Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 300g Mulla mulla beef mince
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 long red chillies, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis
- 1 cup sliced gai laan (or broccolini)
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup sliced yellow capsicum
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- ½ bunch Thai basil, to serve
- Thin fresh rice noodles (225g), blanched in boiling water, drained
- Heat oil in a wok or large fry pan over high heat and swirl to coat. Have ingredients measured out and nearby. Turn on extractor fan.
- Add garlic and chilli and stir quickly so they don’t burn. After 5-10 seconds add the beef mince. Don’t stir too much, allow the beef to cook and brown. Once all the mince is brown, add the fish sauce and stir to coat. Add the kecap manis and stir fry for 5-8 minutes or until the beef becomes caramelised.
- Add gai laan and stir to coat. Cover with lid for 20 seconds until it starts to wilt. Add cabbage and capsicum and stir to mix evenly. Turn off heat. When ready to serve, squeeze over lime juice, add Thai basil and serve with noodles.
- Try using finely sliced Red dirt rump instead of mince.
- Double the amount of ingredients to make the recipe serve 4.
- Kecap manis is thick sweet soy and is available from supermarkets and Asian grocers.
- Try coriander instead of Thai basil.